With wintertime come many of my favorite things; one of them:soup. We always had soup at home and my mom thought me the most basic but best recipes. A few of my favorite soups are Zucchini soup, Chicken soup and here’s my special orange soup recipe for you to try at home. Ideal for warm and cozy home moments. It is pure health in a bowl: pumpkin and butternut squash are low calorie vegetables that are both incredibly rich in vital antioxidants, carotene and vitamins. They contain no saturated fats or cholesterol and are a rich source of dietary fiber and phyto-nutrients. Vitamin A is a powerful natural anti-oxidant and is required by the body for maintaining the integrity of the skin and mucus membranes. It is also an essential vitamin for good eye-sight – ever seen a rabbit with glasses :)? Those orange vegetables contain adequate levels of minerals like iron, zinc, copper, calcium, potassium, and phosphorus.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 large carrots – or more if you like it sweet
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 medium sized pumpkin – there are many varieties, colors & sizes you can alternate
- 1 large onion
- salt & pepper
- about a tablespoon olive oil
- chicken/vegetable stock/cube
- a mixer
- clean, peel, and cut the vegetables as small as you can
- heat the olive oil in a big pot
- add the sliced onion and let it brown
- add the vegetables and let them brown just for a few minutes
- add boiling water
- add salt, pepper and the cube
- let it boil and cook on medium heat for as long as needed until all vegetables are soft enough
- let the pot cool down and then mix together
make plenty so you can freeze some. i usually keep them in individual plastic pots in order to freeze smaller portions and heat them up quickly later on. you can keep them up to a year in your freezer. just write the date on it.
That’s all folks. Easy and pure health and warmth.